Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ministry Mutiny musings

After more than 950 posts, I can't recall ever recommending a book on this blog.

Sure, I may mention a book if I'm reading it and it's inspired a ramble, but never given a you-should-read-this-book pitch.

Now is that time.

If you are a youth minister or involved in a youth ministry (as a volunteer concerned parent or senior minister) then you should read "Ministry Mutiny" by Greg Stier.

Initially, I got the e-book for free off the web, but I can now only track down a study guide here.

The book has the simple backdrop of an experienced youth minister having a series of meetings with a younger, battle scared, youth minister on the verge of resigning.

I identified with a lot in this book. It has a lot of quirky little things which youth ministers will recognise. I identified with the younger bloke who has his first child on the way and is worried about what a ministry future would hold. If you're wondering about the future, then this book is for you.

Every time I've typed my resignation letter it has been for amicable reasons. But I've had days and weeks where I've wanted to vomit one out. In this, I am not alone. If you've been in that place, or are there now, then this book is for you.

I loved the simple, but game changing ideas.

Listen for God's Whisper - Take time out to personally connect with God. This will effect the nature of the relationship you have with God, impact the way you do ministry and the direction it takes.

Get Real - Be genuine. Launch into and encourage life sharing conversations (an idea I hope to launch in 2012) over diatribes. Don't lose the message of Christ in the "honourable" aim of "friendship evangelism."

The next two chapters revolve around the Great Commission.

Go Wide - Jesus tells his followers to find and reach out to those who don't know God. We need to share the message of Christ locally and beyond. Make telling the gospel message a priority in your youth gatherings. We should push our teens to take their faith continually wider.

Grow Deep - Don't be shy on teaching and obedience. You can be attractive to "seekers" without skimping on teaching God's truth. When teaching teens the fundamentals of following Jesus, and are not shy at encouraging kids to live their faith out, then you are equipping then for a lasting relationship with their Maker. We should push our teens to take their faith continually deeper.

No More Outsourcing - Parents are not the enemy, but our ministry partners. We are not their substitutes, but their ministry partners. Teens should see adults living out a genuine, vibrant faith. Especially work at encouraging this in the lives of believing parents. Share with parents what you are going to be sharing with their kids.

Build on Values, Not Fads - The fundamentals don't change. Methods may get tweaked and the wrapping get shinier, but the core things are unchanging. Acts 2:41-47 is a brilliant blueprint for effective ministry. Don't keep worshipping at the alter-of-the-next-new-thing.

If it were up to me, I would read this and "Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry" by Doug Fields with any new youth minister.

No comments: